ChipSafe Operator Safety Shield
ChipSafe Operator Safety Shield
Morbark and our network of authorized tree care dealers are committed to chipper operator safety and ongoing training. After several years of research, development and testing, we see the introduction of the patented ChipSafe ® Operator Safety Shield as a true testament to this commitment.
Tree care workers must be diligent in adhering to safe operating practices when using a brush chipper. Such practices include never operating a chipper alone and always wearing Personal Protection Equipment (PPE). In addition to the typical PPE items like head, eye, and ear protection, Morbark offers the award-winning ChipSafe Operator Safety Shield.
The ChipSafe is available as an option on new Morbark Beever M8D, M12D, M12RX, M12R, M15RX, M15R, M18RX and M18R brush chippers.
HOW IT WORKS
- The ChipSafe Operator Safety Shield device is mounted directly to the sides of the infeed chute of a Morbark brush chipper.
- When preparing to use a brush chipper equipped with the ChipSafe device, operators must wear ChipSafe straps on their wrists AND ChipSafe straps on their ankles or ChipSafe bootlace straps on their boots.
- If, while feeding the brush chipper, the operator’s ChipSafe wearable accessories enter the defined ChipSafe sensing zone, sensors in the plates send a signal to interrupt the chipper’s feeding mechanism, protecting the operator from possible injury.
- A reset sensor box is located on the outer sides of the infeed chute. By simply swiping the strap on their wrist across the reset sensor box, the operator is able to reactivate the feed mechanism and continue the chipping operation with little or no disruption in productivity.
- As an added safety feature, simply attach the ChipSafe winch strap to your chipper’s winch rope near the hook and never have to worry about your winch hook being dragged into your chipper’s feed system again! When the winch strap enters the ChipSafe sensing zone, the feeding mechanism stops, protecting your chipper from potential catastrophic damage.
- For complete ChipSafe operating instructions, refer to the operator’s manual. In addition, we highly recommend that all members of your chipping crew complete the Tree Care Industry Association’s Chipper Operator Specialist credentialing program. For a current list of training dates go to tcia.org/training/chipper-operator-specialist.
What is the ChipSafe® Operator Safety Shield?
The ChipSafe Operator Safety Shield is a safety option on Morbark® chippers. The device stops the feed wheel of a chipper if an operator’s hands or feet go too far into the infeed chute.
How does it work?
The ChipSafe Operator Safety Shield device is mounted directly to the sides of the infeed chute of a Morbark brush chipper, and works together with ChipSafe wearable accessories to improve operator safety.
When preparing to use a brush chipper equipped with the ChipSafe device, operators must wear ChipSafe straps on their wrists AND ChipSafe straps on their ankles or ChipSafe bootlace straps on their boots.
If, while feeding the brush chipper, the operator’s ChipSafe straps enter the defined ChipSafe sensing zone, sensors in the plates send a signal to interrupt the chipper’s feeding mechanism, reducing the risk of operator injury.
How does the device know when my hand or foot is too close to the feed wheel?
The device utilizes specially selected rare-earth magnets to create a magnetic field, which is detected by sensors in the plates mounted to the inside of the infeed chute.
Can other magnets be used?
No. Only the rare-earth magnets selected for ChipSafe are to be used.
How do you reset the chipper after the ChipSafe has stopped the feed wheel?
A restart sensor is located on the outer sides of the infeed chute. By simply swiping a ChipSafe wrist strap across the restart sensor, the operator is able to reactivate the feed mechanism and continue the chipping operation with little or no disruption in productivity.
Is there a situation in which the ChipSafe straps would not trigger the ChipSafe device?
The ChipSafe system is designed to detect the motion of authorized ChipSafe wearable accessories within the sensing zone at regular field operating conditions. However, it is possible to move within the sensing zone without tripping the ChipSafe system if the feed wheel is engaged at a lower speed than is used for normal chipping operations. Many factors influence the sensitivity of the ChipSafe controller, including distance between the antenna plates (size of chute) and the speed at which the straps are moving within the sensing zone. The current sensitivity level was determined after much laboratory and field testing. Increasing the sensitivity increases the rate of “nuisance trips” and decreases chipping productivity. Decreasing the sensitivity reduces the ability of the system to reduce risk to operators. The sensitivity setting is a compromise between these two extremes.
On which models is the ChipSafe available as an option?
The ChipSafe is currently available on new Morbark Beever™ M8D, M12D, M12RX, M12R, M15RX, M15R, M18RX and M18R brush chippers. The chipper must also be equipped with “auto feed.”
I already have a Morbark chipper. Can I get the ChipSafe installed on it?
Yes. Morbark has field kits to retrofit existing, current model, Morbark 6- to 18-inch capacity chippers with the ChipSafe Operator Safety Shield available through its worldwide dealer network. The ChipSafe device must be installed at or by an authorized Morbark dealer or the Morbark factory. All, non-current, Morbark chippers will need prior factory approval to determine additional modifications. In all instances, the chipper s/n is required to verify qualification for ChipSafe.
Can I have the ChipSafe installed on a chipper made by another manufacturer?
Not at this time.
How much does the ChipSafe cost?
See your local authorized Morbark dealer for pricing information. Please visit https://www.morbark.com/find-a-dealer/ to locate your authorized Morbark dealer.
What is the warranty on the ChipSafe?
The ChipSafe Operator Safety Shield components come with Morbark’s standard 2-year component warranty.